This was written yesterday. Then life happened, again, and it didn’t get posted.
Today started off looking promising. My parents and nephew came up for a visit this weekend. My nephew stayed with us, which my kids loved. My parents chose to make this a mini-vacation for them and stayed at a local hotel, which had a pool. They joined us for most of the weekend, but chose to have the evenings to themselves for well deserved together time. Today they were going to be heading home, so the plan was to take one last swim at the hotel then eat lunch out. That WAS the plan.
It didn’t turn out that way. After:
- giving the sick kid medicine
- calling the furnace repair guy
- packing up my nephew’s stuff and gathering up items to send with my parents
- separating kids/cousins who were tired and fighting
- canceling the swim plan with my parents (they took the kids for hot cocoa and ice cream)
- finishing the 6 loads of wash
- handling a surprise installation of internet from the new company (apparently I forgot to put it on the calendar, but I at least was able to pick up our upstairs room while he worked there)
- going out for lunch
- returning home to the furnace repair guy (husband left lunch before food was even on the table to be at the house when the repair guy could be there; I switched places with him after we were done eating)
- talking to the internet provider service techs for over an hour to solve an issue
- finishing up drying all the wet laundry and folding/putting away
… I was left figuring out what to have for supper 15 minutes after it should have been on the table.
The plan was to have Apple Butter French Toast Sandwiches. However, I also forgot my husband did not have class due to the holiday, and this wasn’t a meal he would like. Since the plan for lunch that we didn’t eat would have taken too long to make I chose an easier route.
Sunday after church we had picked up some bread from the bakery (it is 1/2 price on Sundays) – soup would go well with it and be quick to make. We had already eaten Chocolate Chili, lentil soup, black bean soup and tomato soup in the past week or two. Realizing we hadn’t eaten Salisbury Steak as planned for lunch meant we had French Onion Soup in the pantry still, that became the soup of choice for supper.
Without a meal plan we would have been eating spaghetti again, or going out to eat unplanned. Knowing my parents were coming up this weekend I had made a meal plan as if they weren’t. This way, if we decided to eat out we could. However, if we decided to stay in then that would also be okay. By having a plan, I knew what we had eaten recently and which ingredients were in the house to choose from.
Here is the menu plan for the week, though life may have us change it again:
- Crepes, grapes
- Apple Butter French Toast Sandwiches
- Oatmeal with apples
- Eggs, toast, fruit
- Eat out
- Eat out
- Steak, stuffing and beets
- Minute steaks, beets, mashed potatoes
- Breaded pork chops, peas, steamed carrots
- Pot roast with vegetables and bacon
- French onion soup, bread
- Chicken nachos
- Shepherd’s pie
Yes, I realized that one lunch and one supper have not been planned. I’m awaiting life to happen again this week. 🙂 If it doesn’t, then one of those meals will be pizza. The other may be soup or BLTs.
Linked up with OrgJunkie.
For more ideas also check out This Week For Dinner.