This post in part of a series about produce auctions across the USA. While this is not a comprehensive list, I have tried to include auctions about which I can find information. If you know of any others, feel free to leave a note in the comments section.
Kentucky is oriented such that it is wider East to West than North to South. This means that most of the state is similar in growing zones, 6a – 7a. Not only does this affect their winter temperatures, but also their summer ones. While the state gets both hot and cold, it is normally not really an extreme either way. The result is a nice growing season, with a bit of a break in between growing seasons.
Produce auctions across Kentucky are pretty evenly distributed from East to West, with 5 different auctions being found while searching online.
1. Fairview Produce Auction is located at 10292 US 68 East, Pembroke, KY 42266. “Along 68-80; 1/2 mile west of Jeff Davis monument park. 10 miles east of Hopkinsville, 70 miles North of Nashville, 60 miles west of Bowling Green” according to this Kentucky Department of Agriculture website.
Here is another short YouTube video from 2007 of the Fairview Produce Auction.
2. Lincoln County Produce Auction, located outside Crab Orchard, KY at 2896 Ky Highway 39 N Crab Orchard, Kentucky 40419. Their phone number is (606) 355-0030. They are currently on their summer auction schedule – Mondays at 1 pm, and Wednesdays and Fridays at 11 am.
Here is an article from the 2004 opening
3. Casey County Produce Auction – The Casey County Produce Auction is located between Bowling Green and Lexington, KY, in the south central part of the state.
From their website, “Auctions occur every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from April to October at 525 South Fork Creek Road. A market information line is available at (606)787-0570.” They also have a schedule available for download that will list all the auctions.
4. Hart County Produce Auction – located at 6880 Cub Run Hwy, Munfordville, KY 42765.
While not exclusively about the produce auction, here is a 2010 blog post from Amish America that gives you a good feel for the Hart County Produce Auction.
5. Bath County Produce Auction – is located between Mount Sterling and Morehead, near I-64, at 2914 East Highway 60, Owingsville, KY 40360. To find when the next auction is, take a look at the auction schedule. There is also an attached map. It seems that all auctions are in the evenings, at 6 pm.