- Make and freeze 3 months worth of a meal (meatloaf, pork chops in sauce, etc.)
- Read 1 hour to the kids
- Take limbs to yard waste site and bring home more mulch to spread at a future date.
- Finish scraping and painting porch
- Weed around rose bushes and spread mulch
- Add mulch to front flower bed
- Finish planning activities for trip
Well, as you can see, nothing was completed on my to-do list. I did read to the kids, but not for an hour. The painting on the porch progressed more than where it was, but I didn’t get it finished. And as for planning more for our upcoming trip … we have talked about some finer details, but didn’t necessarily plan anything.
I think I need to revisit the way I’ve written these goals, to be more specific and more realistic.
This week is very short for me.
- Monday is a school holiday. The morning will be spent in Big Town running a few small errands then meeting up with sibling(s) of my foster kids for lunch. After that I plan to come home and paint some more on the porch.
- Tuesday I want to go to the produce auction. It is winding down and I’m still hoping to get some pumpkins. Last Friday I went, only to find that it started late and ended early. So goes the end of the growing season. After this week it will be on a “as the weather allows and the fields provide” basis. I’m a bit surprised as the weather hasn’t been all that cool. Maybe everyone is ready to be done with this year’s growing season?
- Wednesday I don’t have much planned. It is my one ‘free’ day. Even then it isn’t so free. I need to pack from my trip. There are also a few apples trees belonging to a friend that need to be picked. I’m going with a different friend to pick them and this seems to be the best day for the two of us.
- Thursday I’m leaving for MOMcon 2013. This will be a first for me, going to MOMcon and to Kansas City. I’m looking forward to the trip. I’ll be gone till Sunday, which means I need to plan not only for me and the trip, but also for my family here at home. Meals, having the house picked up, etc. Posts also need to be written and scheduled. If this doesn’t get completed, please allow me some grace.
Seeing as it is a short week for me, my goals list is also going to be short and more specific than last week.
This Week’s Goals
- Can blackberry jam (it is already pureed and in the refrigerator. It just needs to be cooked and canned.)
- Can salsa (The tomatoes are picked, but need to be used.)
- Pick apples
- Make and freeze 3 months worth of corn bread muffins
- Read 1 hour to the kids
- Finish painting railing on 1/2 of the porch
- Print off more coupons, or get more gift cards, to use on upcoming family trip
Having more specific goals written down means I don’t have to keep remembering exactly what it is I want to do. It gives me a clear plan. For example, making 3 months of corn bread muffins rather than 3 months of a meal. It is also more realistic for me to get the painting done on the railings rather than the whole porch.
Set yourself up for success rather than for failure. I sometimes forget this when I make my weekly goals list. It doesn’t mean to make it easy, just realistic.