The raised box for my strawberries is precisely that – a raised box. I made it out of a free pallet this past spring. It was my first pallet project and not the prettiest of things. The strawberries do not seem to mind, though, as they are setting runners left, right, and over the edge.
Per plant the 6 All Star plants, my June bearing plants, are setting a lot more runners than the 2 Eversweet plants, my everbearing ones. Out of the 8 mother plants there are currently 10 babies trying to set root with more still growing.
With the hope to disturb the babies the least when I move them to a yet-to-be-built box, I used what I had to create pots inside the current bed for them to (hopefully) root in. With a lack of small pots around, I turned to my pantry for a solution. Disposable cups it was.
After making a drainage hole in the bottom, I labeled each as to the kind of plant it was – Eversweet or All Star.
I then used what I had on hand for a filler – wood chips. It would be preferable to put potting soil in there, which I will do at a future date. For now I wanted to get it started and at least the framework in place.
pots cups were then placed into the existing bed in appropriately the location the runners fell naturally. By cup number 10 it was starting to get crowded in there.