Last week I was able to get some strawberries from another gardener. However, I wasn’t near as happy with these as I was with the beets I recently pickled.
I can’t decide who is at fault with this disappointment. I should have known better than to buy something I hadn’t had time to fully inspect and also while I was being distracted. On the other had, the seller/grower should have known better than to sell such low quality produce. Half, or a bit more, ended up in the compost pile. That was the most I have ever paid for compost and the most I have ever paid to freeze strawberries. Either way I am not happy about the berries. Even my husband is hesitant to eat them, because he saw what the containers looked like. But here they are. I’m trying to move on from my disappointment and anger, at myself and the seller, so that will be the end of that.
If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that I did something wrong. Do you see it?
I did not place them in a single layer. It was the very end and I just wanted to be done.
Freezing the strawberries allows me more freedom in deciding what I want to do with them. I could just leave them frozen, in a freezer bag, to pull out as I want a few. Or I could decide to make topping, pie filling, jam, or any other canned item with them in the future at my time of choosing. That last part is the best part of this plan.
I was able to get all the strawberries done in the span of one day. Much faster than the pickled beets.
To get to the freezing part was pretty easy. I washed the strawberries, cut off the tops and any unwanted parts. I then dried them off, placed them on a pan covered with wax paper, in a single layer, and flash froze them in the freezer. When they were frozen I placed them in the freezer bags. I should then be able to pull out 1 or 20 strawberries when I need them.